- 100g of Basil
- 250ml of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 50g toasted pine nuts (can use toasted almonds as a cheaper option)
- 50g of toasted sunflower seeds
- 75g of grated parmesan (or not for a vegan showstopper)
- 2 cloves of garlic boiled in water for 3 mins *Chefs Tip
- The Juice & zest of half a lemon *Chefs Tip
- 30g of fresh mint (....I know, but trust us!)
In terms of time taken to create vs enjoyment of eating, pesto has to be up there at the very top of the list! It is more expensive to make your own, but it is incomparable to the stuff you get in a jar in our opinion! Our secret ingredients are a handful of sunflower seeds and a cheeky bit of mint, don’t knock it until you have tried it!
- Toast the pine nuts and sunflower seeds in a small pan over a low heat, but be sure to keep an eye on them as they turn in seconds!
- Take the leaves off the basil and mint and add to a food processor. I always like to save one or two whole leaves for garnish.
- Add the nuts and seeds once slightly cooled and then the remaining ingredients and season generously. Whiz, adding the Extra Virgin Olive Oil until it reaches the perfect consistency.